There now appear to be only TWO steps to compliance with the UK cookie law:
- List the cookies in use
As published in the Guardian on 26th May the UK cookie law has been relaxed.
This is our interpretation…
It is no longer necessary to request consent to store cookies. But you do still need to perform a cookie audit.
Here is an extract from page 17 of v3 of the cookies guide.
An audit of cookies could involve the following steps and considerations:
- Identify which cookies are operating on or through your website
- Confirm the purpose(s) of each of these cookies
- Confirm whether you link cookies to other information held about users – such as usernames
- Identify what data each cookie holds
- Confirm the type of cookie ? session or persistent
- If it is a persistent cookie how long is its lifespan?
- Is it a first or third party cookie? If it is a third party cookie who is setting it?
The intention(*) of this website and the associated plugin ( cookie-cat ) is to help you perform the audit automatically. If you use cookie-cat in conjunction with the oik-privacy-policy plugin your life could be even easier.
(*) Long term goal